8.05.2011

psalm 13


how long, Lord? will you forget me forever?
how long will you hide your face from me?
how long must i wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
how long will my enemy triumph over me?

look on me and answer, Lord my God.
give light to my eyes, or i will sleep in death,
and my enemy will say, "i have overcome him,"
and my foes will rejoice when i fall.

but i trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
i will sing the Lord's praise,
for he has been good to me.

- psalm 13, niv

i've been meditating on this psalm the past few days, especially the final two verses. i love it because i feel like it encompasses exactly how i've been feeling over the past eight months, waiting for a job, trying to figure out where i'm supposed to be and feeling forgotten by God's silence in my life. i love how david expresses his frustration but then ultimately commits to rejoicing in the Lord and trusting in Him in the midst of his silence. i'm not usually one to pray the psalms, but this one has been on my heart and mind often. isn't it beautiful? i love the idea of resting in God's love despite my current restlessness. my church is currently reading through the psalms together and while i've read them before, i'm really enjoying it this time around. do you have a particular favorite?

image via luna nueva

2 comments:

lacey said...

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book." Psalm 56:8

Sarah Martin said...

Hi new friend!
It was great meeting you and Lacey at Starbucks. I LOVE this Psalm and I love how you shared your heart. Looking forward to reading more from ya!