1.03.2011

one more thing...


i promise i'll move on from new year's resolutions after this post. in fact, i rarely get excited about making resolutions. i think the not-having-a-job thing is inspiring me to take the time to do things that i sometimes didn't even think about after spending most of the day/evening at the office.

that said, my pastor shared jonathan edwards' new year's resolutions with us yesterday at church. edwards was a colonial theologian and minister who wrote numerous resolutions, the majority of which were penned before his 20th birthday. he reviewed them every week to ensure his focus and goals remained the same. you can read them all here, but here are just a few of my favorites. his prose is beautiful and his resolutions even more so:

"resolved, that i will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. resolved to do whatever i think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. resolved to do this, whatever difficulties i meet with, how many and how great soever."

"resolved, to examine carefully, and constantly, what that one thing in me is, which causes me in the least to doubt of the love of God; and to direct all my forces against it."

"resolved, to improve every opportunity, when i am in the best and happiest frame of mind, to cast and venture my soul on the Lord Jesus Christ, to trust and confide in Him, and consecrate myself wholly to Him; that from this i may have assurance of my safety, knowing that i confide in my Redeemer."

image via tumblr

No comments: